Close this search box.
 Logo9 - Selleck Legal, PLLC

Want to Get Away? Check Your Divorce Decree First

Want to Get Away? Check Your Divorce Decree First

When the stress of daily life starts to feel overwhelming, it’s time to take a vacation. In preparation, you buy plane tickets for you and your kids, arrange hotel rooms, transportation, and activities for your family. Unfortunately, these arrangements may be for naught if you neglect to check travel stipulations outlined in your divorce decree – especially if you do not have sole physical custody of your children.

This is because under the conditions of your divorce decree, you may be unable to travel without permission from your ex-spouse.

Your Divorce Decree Can Make or Break Your Travel Plans

divorce decree is official documentation issued by the court that outlines the final judgments of your divorce negotiations. This document may include judgments related to child support and custody, asset and debt division, spousal support, and other sensitive aspects of your divorce. Your divorce decree is legally binding and must be appealed in court to change the terms. If your ex-spouse does not consent to your travel plans, you should consult with an experienced family law attorney to see if a court motion is in order.

Because divorce decrees are legally binding, you and your attorney should carefully review the decree to make sure that there are no errors and that you comprehend every part of the document. Your comprehension of the decree is especially critical to your ability to adhere to child custody agreements. These agreements will dictate the amount of time that you will spend with your children, your ability to travel domestically or internationally, and other parental responsibilities that you and your spouse must decide during the divorce.

You should read and retain a copy of your official divorce decree to ensure that you are adhering to the conditions of the divorce after proceedings have concluded. This is because your divorce decree will dictate many aspects of your post-divorce life, including your ability to travel, change your name, refinance your home, or re-marry.

To request a certified copy of your divorce decree, you must submit an application to the Department of Vital Records for the State of Michigan.

Free Consultation