Close this search box.
 Logo9 - Selleck Legal, PLLC

What to do when you have no money for a divorce

What to do when you have no money for a divorce

Divorce is a prominent issue in Michigan. Data from the Michigan Department of Health & Human Services shows that over 29,000 divorces took place in the state in 2015 alone. 

Money is a huge issue when it comes to divorce. In fact, many people file for divorce without realizing they cannot handle the financial burden. While there may be a lot of emotions behind a divorce, it is important to remain practical. Before filing the paperwork and pursuing legal action, it is good for people to look at their finances to make sure they can handle this process. 

Consider whether moving out is best

During a divorce, many people end up paying for both the house the couple shared together as well as new living accommodations. Many people go through a ton of money simply on living expenses. In the event a person seeks a divorce due to physical or emotional abuse, then he or she should do anything possible to get out of the house. However, if the couple simply has irreconcilable differences, then they could potentially continue living together. In this situation, the couple should get a mediator to create ground rules for both people continuing to live together during the divorce. It helps both parties save some money. 

Ask other partner to cover expenses

This is a tricky proposition, but it can work. In instances where one spouse is the breadwinner and the other hardly makes any money, the latter can ask the former to cover all legal expenses. This has a greater chance of working if the partner agrees to a credit arrangement where he or she will pay back the other over time. This is helpful when both people mutually agree to the divorce because the other spouse may want to simply get the divorce over with. 

Seek fee waivers

Under certain conditions, a spouse can receive fee waivers for the divorce paperwork. Both people need to submit various documents, which come with fees. If a person can prove he or she is under extreme financial distress, then sometimes a court can waive these fees.

author avatar
Selleck Legal, PLLC

Free Consultation